18th KING GEORGE’S OWN LANCERS. SOWAR – 1916
incl. VAT, plus shipping
Free shipping on orders over 100€ within the EU
Delivery Time 1 - 5 Business days
Raised in 1858 raised at Gwalior by Capt F H Smith as 2nd Regiment of Mahratta Horse.
1861 became 18th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry.
1886 became 18th Regiment of Bengal Lancers.
1901 became 18th Bengal Lancers.
1903 became 18th Tiwana Lancers.
1906 became 18th Prince of Wales’ Own Tiwana Lancers.
1910 became 18th King George’s Own Lancers.
After the reforms of 1921, it merged with the 19th Lancers (Fane’s Cavalry), and was renamed the 18th / 19th Cavalry.
Two years later, in 1923, he became the 19th of King George’s Lancers. In 1937 he received the name of 19th of King George V’s Lancers.
In 1947, with the partitioning of the British Indian Empire and the creation of a separate state of Pakistan, the 19th King George V’s Own Lancers was transferred to the Pakistan Army. The regiment exchanged its Jat squadron with the Central India Horse for its Punjabi Mussalman squadron, and gave its Sikh squadron to Skinner’s Horse in return for its Mussalman squadron.
Battle Honours: Afghanistan 1878-80, Punjab Frontier and Tirah Campaign.
Composition: (1901) Jats, Punjabi Muhammadans, Sikhs.
The uniform was gives as red with blue facings and gold lace, the change to white facings being made in 1901. The brown leather pouch belt is given in the Regulations of 1886 and 1901.
At the beginning of 1914, the regiment was stationed at Meerut (Uttar Pradesh, India) having arrived from Delhi on 20 October 1909.
In January 1914, the 18th King George’s Own Lancers had been inspected by Brigadier-General Fitz J. M. Edwards, Commanding Meerut (Cavalry) Brigade, who reported:
“Drill, manoeuvre, signalling and equitation are all satisfactory, but more use should be made of signallers to save horse-flesh. Musketry and fire discipline on the whole satisfactory but capable of improvement. Stable management is moderate and horses for the most part of a suitable stamp but there are many horses in poor condition. Arms, equipment and saddlery generally satisfactory, except perhaps transport saddles which are of an old pattern. Interior economy is satisfactory. A fine regiment and fit for service but rather conservative and disinclined to advance with the times, especially in matters of interior economy”.
During World War I, the regiment was sent to France in 1914 with the Indian Cavalry Corps. He participated in the Ambala Cavalry Brigade, Second Indian Division in June 1916 in the Battle of the Somme and then in the Fifth Cavalry Division in 1917 in the Battle of Cambrai. In 1918, he moved to Egypt joining the 13th Cavalry Brigade and participated in General Edmund Allenby’s campaign in Palestine. The regiment fought in the Battle of Megiddo and the subsequent race to Damascus, traveling 550 miles in 38 days.
The figure shows a sowar (tropper) in one of the few mounted actions held by the regiment during the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The uniform and equipment, is the regulation of the Indian Cavalry regiments in 1914, and corresponds to the one used by the rest of the British Cavalry in the First World War. There were slight differences, such the round canteen in the Indian cavalry. In addition to the standard bag on the side, the corresponding bag to the gas mask had been added, which was either worn on one side, as in the figure, while on other occasions, it could be worn on the back, or on the front of the trunk. The spear is the model adopted in 1895 in ash wood, which replaced the previous model of bamboo.
The standard saddle corresponds to final pattern of the 1902 New UP Steel Arch Saddle model. (Breastplate had by this time been discarded, their main use for many years having been as a means of displaying a regimental crest on ceremonial occasions). The Lee-Enfield rifle approved as a universal weapon for cavalry. Normally, it hung on the right side of the saddle, but there are a large number of photographs that show, within the Indian cavalry, as was very normal, it was carried hanging on the left side
Size or Dimensions
54 mm metal